ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:16:53 -0400
At 11:33 AM -0500 1/27/97, Kevin C. Tompkins wrote:
> Mike Machnik wrote:
> >

> > When Merrimack's Bob DeGregorio was commissioner, I can guarantee you that
> > there was no way that Parker had "undue influence".  The same was true when
> > Stu Haskell and Lou Lamoriello were in charge.  The current league
> > leadership structure is somewhat nebulous with the lack of a commissioner,
> > but I don't see Parker having any more (or less) influence than he had
> > before.
> >

> First, unless you were on the committee, I seriously double that you
> can make that guarantee.

I can come pretty darn close, because after eight years with Merrimack and
working with Bob on a number of things, I am certain that what I said is
true.  He is as far from a "yes man" as you can get.  But you can believe
whatever you wish.

> Secondly, if you remember when Nonni Daly
> ( I believe that was her name ) was DiGregorio's assistant, she
> resigned due to some problems that developed during the handling
> of whether to allow Maine to play in the postseason that year.  Now,
> she clearly felt that the committee was acting improperly in some
> regard.

Regardless of whether Nonni's decision was the right one or not, you are
wrong if you think that her decision to resign indicated that DeGregorio or
anyone else was influenced by Parker.  It only indicated that she did not
like what the league had done.

The decision on Maine was not made unilaterally by the commissioner.  It
was made by the athletic directors, of which DeGregorio was one and had but
one vote.  How do you account for the votes of the others who voted to ban
Maine?

> I will back off on Parker exerting influence on the NCAA - I think
> that might be a stretch.  What I think is happening here though is that
> a lot of people listen to him because he has been a fixture in the
> college hockey scene for a long time.  His relationship with Shawn
> Walsh is well documented - sometimes I think he just makes people
> believe things about Maine just so he can get back at Shawn.

Who are these "people" and how does Parker "make" people believe things
about Maine?  I don't know anyone who takes Jack Parker's word as gospel.
Sure, people listen to him, but they make up their own minds and sometimes
they agree with him, sometimes they do not.  People will believe whatever
they want about Maine, but except for some biased BU fans who *may* believe
whatever Parker says, it is not because of Parker.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****