ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:28:56 EST
I wrote an article that appeared in Wednesday's Maine Campus that was entitled
"Gustafsson makes transition". I spoke to Marcus a little while ago, and found
him to be an extremely interesting person. He touched a little on his experienc
e in the Swedish military last year. For those who haven't read it, here it is.
......   If it weren't for the love of hockey , Black Bear forward Marcus Gusta
fsson might be putting out fires instead of starting them on the ice.  "I was s
upposed to be a firefighter at an Air Force base," said Gustafsson. "For awhile
 I really wanted to be a firefighter, but if I did that, I wouldn't have been a
ble to play hockey."   Gustafsson had his opportunity last year when he was wit
h the Swedish Air Force fulfilling a military commitment in his native country.
 "I was in the Swedish Air Force for nine months, and it was different," said G
ustafsson.  "I did basic training out in the woods for six weeks. We didn't get
 a whole lot of sleep; it was tough."    The decision for Gustafsson to return
to hockey wasn't an easy one for him, but it has paid off with big rewards for
the team.   "Marcus has really helped us," head coach Shawn Walsh said.  "He's
confident and has a great mind. He got his mental toughness through the Swedish
 military."  Gustafsson credits his military experience in building a newly bor
n confidence on the ice.  "I learned and grew a lot as a person," said Gustafss
on.  "When I was here two years ago I didn't think I was as good as the other p
layers.  Now, I realize I'm as good as anyone."  I have changed my personal goa
ls," Gustafsson added.  "In the begining I wanted to be one of the team, and no
w I want to be one of the best."  Gustafsson's toughness can be seen on the ice
 this year, especially since joining Maine Captain Reg Cardinal and alternate c
aptain Trevor Roenick on the same line.  In the last ten games he has scored 6
goals and added 10 assists. Perhaps even more notable is, you can find his name
in the Black Bear record books next to Paul Kariya and others. On Decmber 28th,
 Gustafsson tied a school record for most assists in a game (5) and most points