ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 1996 07:44:33 EST
D B Doucette asked when McDonough would go after Calipari like he did Walsh.

Actually Dan Shaughnessy got to it first.  He wrote as scathing of a piece
as I could imagine about Camby (calling him a "pig" at one point) and grouped
Calipari in with it.  So the Boston Globe clearly isn't giving preferentional
treatment here.

> At 11:30 PM 12/22/96 -0400, Mike Machnik wrote:
>
> >Hold on...I'm under the impression that Calipari did not know about what
> >was going on with Camby when it happened.  Someone (forget who) said
> >recently that if he did know during the season, he would have done
> >something about it, Player of the Year or not.  I.e. suspension.
> >
> >If it comes out that Calipari did know and did nothing, I'll change my
> >opinion, but based on what little I know, I don't think it's fair to defend
> >Walsh by taking shots at a guy who also probably does not deserve it.  It
> >doesn't make the pro-Walsh side look very good.

People have commented that with Camby wearing expensive jewelry in Calipari's
presence (and I believe there are news photos which show that), the coach
should have noticed and put two and two together.  Maybe, maybe not.  That's
something that would have zipped over my head, but I'm notoriously
clueless with that type of thing.  (Saw someone for the first time in two
years that I used to see at least once a week.  He'd lost over a hundred
pounds and my comment was, "You look different.  What is it?"  Clueless...)
Perhaps Calipari looked the other way, or maybe he just didn't notice something
that he should have made his job to notice.

> >I'd also say there were 15 million very good reasons for him to leave UMass
> >when he did.  If he had stayed simply to "face the heat", he would have
> >been a fool.  From every indication, this is Camby's heat to face, not
> >Calipari's.
>

> Regardless of the new information, Calipari did bolt not long after Camby
> went public.  It does look suspicious.

I've got to agree with Mike on this one.  Whether Calipari was culpable or
not, he had a team offering an insane contract.  Does he go back to UMass
and rebuild or let the Nets act like... well, the Nets?

Avoiding the heat because of Camby stuff would seem to have been a ways down
the list on reasons to leave.

Dave