ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:05:35 -0500
At 11:38 PM 12/16/96 -0400, Mike Machnik wrote:
>At 10:44 AM -0500 12/16/96, Robert Svec wrote:
>> This is the first time I felt compelled to write to The Maine Hockey
>> Discussion List.   The immature call by the sports editor of the BDN for
>> Shawn Walsh to be fired and the continuous flow of anti-Maine editorials is
>> beyond belief.
>
>Was this something different that I didn't see?  The column posted last
>week didn't say anything about firing Walsh.

Mr. Svec could be referring to any number of editorials written since July
about Walsh.. there have been plenty, and I am quite sure Mr. McLaughlin has
written one.

The Maine media has not exactly been supportive of the decision to allow
Walsh back.

>I don't know Art Mayo or anything about him, but I wouldn't be so quick to
>dismiss everything said by people who think Walsh should not return.
>Better to understand the reasons why and then challenge those.  As an
>outsider, I can see reasons why he should return and reasons why he should
>not.  Call it walking the fence, but I'm just glad the decision was not
>mine to make.

I don't think the real question regarding Mayo's proposal is whether or not
he has a case, but whether or not the legislature should even spend their
time on a matter that they have little or no say on, and spend tax dollars
to do it.

Furthermore, in light of the fact that the legislature has gutted funding
for the University of Maine in recent years, is it two-faced for a
legislator to try and influence university policy?  Especially when many
problems at the university -- non-NCAA primarily, but neverless detrimental
to the educational value Mayo is trying to preserve at Maine -- are a direct
result of lack of funding from Augusta, it seems ridiculous to expect the
university to waste its time listening to this.

If the legislature wants to help UMaine, stop cutting the funding so the
university doesn't have to make hard cutbacks that further depleat what used
to be broad educational opportunities at UMaine.  The problems that UMaine
is experiencing, from a legislative standpoint, run far deeper than a hockey
coach.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])