From:
"(No Name)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:09:11 -0400
Craig Lisko/HCS/CSC
02/12/97 12:09 PM

Sorry, but I couldn't keep away from this one.

Illegal sticks.
Simply put. Every player knows that there is a rule for the curve being to
big! Just like there is a rule for off-side. What is the debate?

If its in the rulebook then its a rule, plain and simple.

Of course, the gentlemanly thing to do is not to call an illegal stick
because you probably have players of your own with illegal sticks, but it
is in the rulebook.

ALL college players in Division I get their sticks custom made. If the
curve is too large, blame the player. When I played, if one of us was
caught with an illegal stick, the coach said you would then be responsible
to buy your own sticks!!!! I think that clarified that issue.

Goalie equipment has traditionally been made too large. I even played one
year with the glove that Cooper designed with an additional pocket which
extended from my thumb to the top part of my wrist plate. It was only legal
for one year, but oh well.

I know that you "don't call" illegal stick penalties in hockey because it's
the unwritten rule of hockey. But if my team is down in the playoffs by a
goal, in the third period, and I know that a player has an illegal stick,
and we'll go on the powerplay, ARE YOU GOING TO CALL IT?  And think this
through before you say, "OH, I'd never do that!".

How do you solve this. Each school has a stick gauge. Have the players use
it before the game starts. How often do you see a player suddenly change
sticks when it starts to get late in the game? Gee, I wonder why he is
changing sticks; Could that first one be illegal?

Let's see if any of these calls are made in the playoffs.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994