From:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nat Malen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:10:57 -0600
After coming back from thanksgiving, I noticed a lot of posts about Frank
Mazzocco and Tom Reid, the gopher announcers for MSC.  I watched both the
UM- UMN game and the MSU-UMN game this week and thought about any signs of
being biased.  One point I would like to make:

The two announcers are also the announcers for the Minnesota State High
School Hockey state tournament so they are very familiar with many of the
players.  Crowley, Lafleur, Clymer, and other Bloomington natives were in
the state tournament from 92-94 and Frank and Tom covered the whole thing.

I am not sure if there is a relationship here, but certainly, after
broadcasting state tournaments, Frank and Tom will maybe root for Minnesota.
Since many players from the Minnesota state tournament end up playing at
UMN, then Mazzocco and Reid are already familiar with them and will be
somewhat biased.

My point:  yes, Frank and Tom are a little biased in my opinion because they
already know some players and are familiar with them, but they do maintain a
sense of professionalism while broadcasting.  They also do make many
inbiased calls as evident in the telecasts of the College hockey Showcase
this past weekend.

Nat Malen
University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire