ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:53:37 EST
Kevin wrote, in part..
>I guess I am amongst the confused on this issue.  If the rule is cut and
>dry
>then why would Maine not be penalized for scheduling one too many games
>for this season ??  ...

There is no penalty for scheduling too many games.  You get into trouble
when you *play* too many games!  :)

>I guess I don't see why next season is affected at all.  ...

There are 2 parts to this.  In the initial NCAA findings, TV was banned
for 1 year, but the NCAA allowed that Maine could delay the penalty from
this current season to next season if there were contractual problems.
More recently it has been suggested (perhaps the AD announced?) that the
exemptions ban could be delayed until next year.  (A 3rd part is the
appeal of the post-season ban).

>                                             ...  Or is the punishment
>different
>in the situation where the team is ineligible, like Maine is, in that
>current
>season - so they simply impose a different penalty in the following
>season.

Failing to follow the directions of the infractions committee would
be a major violation.

>I agree with Deron, though as to how this could have happened.  When are
>the
>Maine administrators going to wake up and smell the coffee???  ...

Well, let's not chastise them just because of our speculations.
Hopefully they have information that we don't.  Otherwise they won't be
smelling the coffee, it'll be burnt toast.

>is somehow a Shawn Walsh screw-up!   ;-)

   I agree.  The guy takes a vacation just when we need him the most ;-)

   Welcome back, Shawn!

Go Bears!

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3

PS - There's a Snow watch on for this weekend.  (best regards, Garth!)

PPS - This weekend's series is expected to be the 1st sellouts of the
      season.