ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:53:11 -0500
Here is the notebook that appeared in Wednesdays Maine Campus. As for
the injury discussion going on, interesting points made by a lot of
people. My two cents (and believe me it might just be worth that much)
is this: When talking to coaches or players, and both parties are AWARE
that they are on the record, than any information given is public.
Anyway, here is the notebook, and yes, there is an injury update.

        For the third consecutive year the University of Maine hockey team is
off to a 4-1-1 start after leaving Providence College and the
University of Massachusetts-Lowell shaking their heads this past
weekend.
Unlike the past two years, however, the Black Bears have gotten off to
a quick  2-0 start in Hockey East play. In fact, the Black Bears
compiled a 1-5-3 record to open league play in those previous two
years.
"It's really good to come out and get two wins right off the bat in
Hockey East," said sophomore forward Corey Larose. "These games are
especially important because we want to win Hockey East."
While on the subject of the past few years in hockey it is appropriate
to look at whom Maine has gone up against in their first few games
during that span.
The hockey program has historically served the "To be the best, you
have to beat the best" dish as more than an entree in its first few
games of the season.
In the previous three Octobers, the Black Bears have played Minnesota
and Michigan twice, Colorado College, Miami (Ohio), and Michigan State.
All of those teams are currently in the nation's top ten. The Bears
went 3-3-1 in those games.
For the second consecutive week the Hockey East Rookie of the Week
award went to a Black Bear.
Freshman Matthias Trattnig earned honors this week after scoring two
power play goals against the 'Hawks Friday night. Last week, freshman
defenseman Adam Tate was the top rookie in the league.
In the Lottery:
21, 46.15 and seven are safe lottery picks for the Maine hockey team
this week.
Last season the Bears didn't win their first Hockey East game until
November 21st when they edged Umass-Lowell in overtime 5-4. With their
6-2 win Friday night over those same River Hawks, Maine clipped three
weeks off that time.
"It's good to get off to this type of start in Hockey East especially
after last year," said senior defenseman Brian White. "We want to make
sure we don't have any regrets at the end of the year."
One of the earliest strengths of this year's team can be found on the
power play. The Black Bears have converted on 46.15 percent of their
power plays. That is almost 10 percent higher than any other team in
Hockey East.
"We're playing well as a group on special teams," said captain Steve
Kariya. "The biggest thing is that we're trying to keep it simple."
Well, simplicity has resulted in 18 power play goals this year and, in
essence, has buried Lowell and Providence this past weekend.
The return of Shawn Wansborough to the lineup also played a major role
on the unit that plays with the man advantage. Kariya said that power
play experience has been the difference thus far.
"When you look at our power play with myself, Wansborough, and (David)
Cullen, that is three of us who know each other well," said Kariya.
"Everyone knows where everyone is and it is just clicking right now."
Coupled with the play of newcomers Adam Tate, Dan Kerluke, and the
consistent play of Larose, the power play is something opposing teams
have to be wary of.
"Teams will be watching us closer," said Kariya. "But we'll continue to
do what we can out there.
"We're all on the same page, and we all feed off each other."
Wansborough admitted that after the game against Lowell he was
apprehensive when he hit the ice for the first time.
"You could say I was nervous," said Wansborough. "I'd only been out for
one practice and that is so much different than a game. I wasn't sure
if my knee would tweak at all, but it didn't."
Despite playing on a knee that will require surgery at the end of the
year, Wansborough racked up seven points on the weekend and provided
the Bears with some much needed experience.
"He's playing on a brace that keeps the knee in place," said Maine
coach Shawn Walsh. "In any sport whether it be football, basketball or
hockey, you win games with guys whose heart is bigger than their
talent."
Although the knee may hamper some of Wansborough's speed, the one thing
it does not affect is the physical toughness he brings to the table
each night.
During the UMass-Lowell game, Wansborough got involved with River Hawk
right wing Kyle Kidney after he knocked Kariya down on a Maine goal.
"Stevie got the goal and the guy gave him a whack after he scored,"
said Wansborough. "So I decided to give him a shot to let him know that
we don't like that."
On the shelf:
The Bears received a boost with the return of captain Shawn Wansborough
to the lineup last weekend. However, Scott Parmentier, who has been out
of action with a shoulder injury, will not return this weekend against
Boston University.
Junior forward Marcus Gustafsson is listed as questionable for this
weekend. The native of Knivista, Sweden has been bothered with an ankle
injury.
Freshman forward A.J. Begg, who has been centering the Jason Vitorino
and Jim Leger line, has come down with a cold and his status is yet to
be determined.
Up ahead:
There are just three days remaining until Boston University comes to
town Saturday night. In one of the game's most heralded rivalries, the
Terriers and Black Bears will square off in the Alfond with a pair of
national rankings on the line.
Following the game Saturday night against Providence, some players
already had their thoughts focused on this weekend's national showdown.
"I can't wait," said Wansborough. "That is about it."
As is the case every year, several newcomers experience their first
taste of the game that needs no explanation.
"What I have heard is that the fans really hate BU," said freshman
Matthias Trattnig. "We're pumped and it should be great."
Trattnig's former coach Jim Salfi, whose son Kent is a former Black
Bear, sent him an e-mail message this week to help get the significance
across.
"He sent me an e-mail that said, 'this is what college hockey is all
about," said Trattnig.
And who could argue with that?