ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:54:38 -0400
Just a clarification- At one time the method used to determine the number of
members was to multiply the # of households by 2-4 (I don't remember which!)
as a more accurate count of actual members.  Thus the 2-3,000 members, which
if divided to reflect current counting methods reflects 500 - 750 (I have
poor math skills, so if anyone comes up with a different number, OKAY!)
Several years ago it was decided to simply count households as one.  Thus the
current number, which I asked John McDonough, our database keeper, for and
was estimated at 375.  Still a large drop, and less than 10% of attendance at
a game.

The FMH have been primarily responsible, according to Coach, for keeping
UMaine Hockey at a competitive level with our much better funded competition.
 The contributions over the years have significantly affected the quality of
the student athlete experience, with new skating and weight training
equipment, scholarships, skate sharpening machine, on and on and on.  We also
provide a channel (under institutional control!) for the public to get to
know these terrific players.  All this and much more is done with all
volunteer effort, and little to no staff time, which is an enormous benefit
to the program.

I would most certainly like to hear the reasons folks have for NOT being a
member.  That would be something to work on next season.  I would also be
happy to send anyone a copy of the newsletter coming out next week, if they
email me privately at [log in to unmask]

The FMH have decided to restrict our fundraising efforts to the men's
program.  It is part of our constitution.  However we will be offering space
in our newsletter for an occasional column to benefit the women's team, much
as we have to other sports at the U. to promote their "product".  I do not
know how the women's program will be funded.  I hope they work as hard as we
have to develop benefactor and fan support.  It does not come overnight.

Also, about the schedule - my point was that one cannot expect Tina's office
to send out a schedule, when Sports Information doesn't want them sent.  That
criticism should rightfully be sent on the Joe Roerts, since Matt is leaving!

I don't believe that the President of the FMH gets any different treatment
than Joe Blow off the street!  If anything, I have felt held to a higher
standard because of the position!  Sometimes just keeping my big mouth shut
is very hard!!

Cathy Hart
GO MAINE HOCKEY!!