ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Robert Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 09:18:16 -0500
>Did I call it?  -- dt :-)

Yes you called it Deron but you have to admit that it was an easy one to
predict.  McLauglin is like the black flies of Maine ..pesky, predictable,
persistent but very  unoriginal and definately not very useful.

Yesterday evening after a long day, I decided to relax in my favorite chair,
watch some college hockey and enjoy the sports page of the Bangor Daily News
to see what was happening on the courts, ice and fields of the area and the
country.  Instead I found the Bangor "Deadly" News, eastern Maine's version
of tabloid journalism, doing everything possible to prolong the coverage of
the NCAA situation.  First there was McLaughlin's version of Chinese water
torture, the constant dripping of anti University of Maine drivel.  There is
nothing creative or new about it in his column but it makes for an easy way
of filling it out.  If you are  intellectually lazy, just rewrite and change
the title.

Deirdre Fleming, McLaughlin's little obsequious follower, has shown that she
has mastered the art of back door character assasination.  Get a few quotes
and sprinkle with innuendo and you are ready to work in the Bangor "Deadly"
News sports department.

Watching Jack Parker standing behind the bench and spitting like a tobacco
chewing minor leaguer and reading his quotes in Fleming's apparent attempt
at journalism caused my blood to boil (I wonder if the BDN will pay for my
next blood pressure test).  Paul Pooley  of Providence and Joe Mallen of
UMass-Amherst showed class in avoiding Fleming's attempt to dredge up
anti-Maine quotes.  The same can not be said for smug Jack Parker.  His
dislike for Shawn Walsh and the U of Maine were abundantly clear from his
quotes which squirted out as easily and  disgustingly as his spitting on TV.
 He not only knocked the University but the President and the Athletic
Director.  While Pooley and Mallen showed class the same can not be said for
Parker....he decided to take the low road.  From Parker's quotes, you can
reasonably expect him to bad mouth Maine to every impressionable young
hockey player willing to listen too him.

The BDM may be right  and the "Storm clouds may linger over UM" especially
if they continue with their tirade of hate.  It is the media's version of a
self fullfilling prophesy.  Maybe the combined genius of McLaughlin and
Fleming will find others to interview so they can keep this hot on the front
page of the BDN Sports page.  They may wish to get quotes from around Hockey
East of others close to hockey such as BU students and Boston Zamboni drivers.

Now on to hockey....another nice win for the Black Bears at UMass-Amherst.
Lets make some noise against UNH and Jack Parker's team!!!!!

Bob Svec

GO BLUE