ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 21:25:13 EST
>        We were lucky enough to be in a sky box last night with a fantastic vie
>of the goal. I swear that Barret H. scored in the second period but the
>puck was shot so hard it was in and out before the ref could see it. He
>shot from the right wing and a Maine player (I was too excited to see who
>it was) on the opposite side of the crease also thought it was in as he
>started to raise his arms in the customary fasion. A couple of the people
>with us agree. Did anyone else see this or am I loosing it???

I was at the other end (L/M) and thought it went in.  I was told by a
couple of people (with a good (side) view) that it hit the pipe and
didn't go in.  I believe them :-)

Both teams had many chances and could have won the game.  I was a bit
disappointed that the home team was quite defensive during the last of
the 3rd period and most all of overtime.  Last year's National
Championship game wouldn't have won had we played that way.  So maybe
Coach Walsh was playing not to lose?

Speaking of Walshes ...  I found it incredible how much player Walsh had
the eyes and attention of the referee ...  a lot!  Late in the game,
when player Walsh was hooked, tripped and yanked a bit, he did one of
his patent-pending spin dives.  He came up looking at the ref ...  and
got nothing for his effort but a "no way" look back.  :-)

Shoot me, but I think ME and NE are alike in many ways.  ME may have
more success this season, but I'll be surprised if NE doesn't lift
themselves out of the cellar.  (Detailed comparison intentionally
omitted).

Some fans and maybe most everyone might have been disturbed at the
(non-) production of the power play ...  but not me.  I thought time and
again we did just wanted to ...  got the opponents out of position or
skating to catch up ...  but just didn't have the finishing pass or
movement to the vacating spot.  Ready to break out is what I think.  No
better time than against a tough PC opponent Sunday afternoon.

If you're not watching the team in person, you are listening are you not?

For WMEB, point your web browser to

   http://www.webradio.com/wmeb

For WZON, point your web browser to

   http://ZoneRadio.com/ or http://BroadcastSports.com/

   or point your RealPlayer(G2) to

   http://play.rbn.com/?url=bmc/wzonfm/live/live20.rm&proto=rtsp

Finally, continued congratulations to the student fans who are showing
up and having a great time.  In addition to keeping up with this mailing
list (with a 2-way gate into/out of FirstClass), I can recommend the
following web sites:

   http://www.UMaine.edu/hockey            (Official Maine Hockey site)

   http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/5928/index.html
                                         (Unofficial Maine hockey site)

   http://MaineBlackBears.com/       (commercial all-sports Maine site)

   http://USCollegeHockey.com/        (commercial all-NCAA hockey site)

and you'll be the knowledgeable Maine fan everyone thinks you are :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3