ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Todd Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:47:02 -0700
>What about Steve?  What's going on with him?  Does anyone know?
>Tara

I read an article in our local paper the "Nanaimo Daily News" (Nanaimo, BC)
that had a headline reading "Ex-Clipper Steve Kariya sought after by variety
of NHL Clubs".  The article went on to say how Kariya and Jason Krog must be
the most sought after free agents in hockey today, mentioning the NCAA
tourney.  Lewis Gross who is representing Krog in talks with NHL teams said
that a deal is close with Krog and they think that they might have him
signed within the next couple of days.

The article then said how the NCAA final was played in Anaheim and Mighty
Ducks GM Pierre Gauthier was an interested observer.

From the article....

        "It was almost an omen," said Maine coach Shawn Walsh.  "Clearly,
the best opportunity for Steve would be to play with a team with skilled
players.  He's going to get better and better because he has the family traits."

        But is he too small for the NHL?

        "We'll see," said Walsh.  "Some people said the same thing about
Theo Fleury."

I guess only time will tell where Steve ends up.  I wish him all the best
and hope that he can join his brother in the NHL one day soon.

Todd