ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Joseph Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:31:37 -0000
Although I make it a point of showing emotion and partisanship toward Maine in my delivery when announcing (the same holds true to my delivery for sponsorships -- I really try to "sell" whatever sponsor I have), I still strive to be very objective  when the mike is off and believe me, it is hard not to be a Maine hockey fan when the level of play is this high.

There are a few facts and possibly some objectivity about the slapshot contest which may clear up some misunderstandings.  First, the puck can clearly fit through the hole in the board.  Immediately after the contest, I went to where the board is stored and tested it. There is clearance with about + or - 1/2 inch on either side for the puck to get through.

Secondly, it is my understanding that the dealership would love to see a winner in the contest.  The vehicle prize, if won, would be paid by an insurance company who has the policy on the contest.  The dealer has been paying on that policy for some time.

Thirdly, I was informed on Saturday that to win the vehicle, the entire puck must clear the front of the slapshot board plane.  I think it was clear to just about all who watched the shot itself that it did not.  These are some of the details which the crowd would have heard, if they weren't booing so much.

Should there have been clearer definitions at some point before the shot Friday? I think everyone agrees there should have been.

Will there still be a slapshot contest?  That is completely up to the University and its sponsors.

Whatever promotion is planned, I will be there to support both the school and its sponsors.  We will just have to wait to see if the crowd feels the same way.

With that said, having a loud and emotional crowd in the Alfond has been a great asset to Maine's teams.  Lord knows it has made my job that much easier (although I have been booed by the crowd on occassion too...every time a visiting teams goal or Maine penalty is announced). So it appears that sometimes we live by the crowds and sometimes we have to live with the crowd.

What are you N2?  Choose from 150 free e-mail addresses.
http://www.n2mail.com