ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 18:34:02 -0400
Well, it's time for Walsh-bashing again; it's the Bush Deadly's turn with
McLaughlin.  How about a boycott of the BDN and hope that the Portland
Press-Herald can gain subscribers north of Augusta.  Do they offer home
delivery in the Bangor area yet ?

On to the point.  If you've read my earlier posts, I ask everyone to
compare what Maine has been going through against other NC$$ violators of
the past two or three years.  Why villify Maine and impose more severe
sanctions on them, than for teams whose transgressions include (all not the
same teams, BTW):

Cash payments and jewelry given to a college athlete from a prospective "agent".
Ten or more team members invade a campus fraternity and beat some brothers.
Sexual assault against feamle students, on several occasions by more than
one player.
Credit-card theft and fraudulent use and students betting on their own team
to loose.

and the beat goes on...

Some big-time programs have had more problems than Maine, and what have
they been forced to endure, when compared to Maine ?  When confronted with
screeds such as from the BDN, Shawn deserves our support.  He didn't run
away (re: Calipari) when the heat got turned up; he stood and fought, not
for himself, but his players.

Next I'm waiting for Will McDonough in the Boston Globe to write as often
about UMass problems and take Calipari et al over the coals like he did
against Shawn and UMaine.

Let's just play hockey and leave the kids alone for the remainder of the year.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

        ****** If you can read this, thank your monitor *******
                   Dan Doucette - [log in to unmask]