From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:21:13 -0400
At 4:53 PM -0500 11/12/96, Eleanor Rodgers wrote:
> And back to my own bias here, UVM is the proud alma mater of the NHL player
> of the week, John LeClair.  And I keep hearing over and over that Thomas,
> St. Louis and Perrin will make the NHL.  We'll see, but they are pretty
> good, and the French guys can do stuff Kariya could never do in college (or
> so I've been told often enough)

I like these guys too, but this is really stretching it...Perrin and St
Louis are among the more talented players I have seen in college, but
Kariya was in a class by himself.  There isn't anything that these guys can
do with the puck that Kariya could not do, and that is not a putdown.

Tell those people who think Perrin/St Louis can do things Kariya could not
do, to watch the Hockey East highlight tape from 1992-93.  There is a clip
where Kariya, in the process of taking the puck end to end (against
Northeastern?), gets hauled down at center ice but somehow maintains
control of the puck while he is down on the ice.  He keeps sliding, regains
his feet, continues on his way and either sets up or scores an incredible
goal down the other end.  This might be the most amazing goal I have ever
seen.  And there's no question in my mind that he is the most talented and
remarkable player I have seen play college hockey.

I will say, however, that Martin St Louis has reminded me more of Kariya
than anyone else since because of his similar ability to do things that
amaze you.  They're just not quite on the same scale as the things Kariya
did.  To me, it's enough to say that he may be #2. :-)  That's still pretty
darn good.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****