ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:30:58 -0400
At 6:34 PM -0400 12/22/96, D B Doucette wrote:
> He didn't run
> away (re: Calipari) when the heat got turned up; he stood and fought, not
> for himself, but his players.
>
> Next I'm waiting for Will McDonough in the Boston Globe to write as often
> about UMass problems and take Calipari et al over the coals like he did
> against Shawn and UMaine.

Hold on...I'm under the impression that Calipari did not know about what
was going on with Camby when it happened.  Someone (forget who) said
recently that if he did know during the season, he would have done
something about it, Player of the Year or not.  I.e. suspension.

If it comes out that Calipari did know and did nothing, I'll change my
opinion, but based on what little I know, I don't think it's fair to defend
Walsh by taking shots at a guy who also probably does not deserve it.  It
doesn't make the pro-Walsh side look very good.

I'd also say there were 15 million very good reasons for him to leave UMass
when he did.  If he had stayed simply to "face the heat", he would have
been a fool.  From every indication, this is Camby's heat to face, not
Calipari's.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****