ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:37:41 -0800
ryan and bellamy are also consistently out against the
best players on the other team.  I do not want to take
anything away from Jeff marshall, as he is really
hustling and doing a great job, but it is a little
easier to cover 4th line players and have a good +/1
than to cover Brock Trotter at DU, Joe Vitale at NU,
and even  Rob Ricci at Merrimack.

perhaps I should not have called the problems numbers
one and 2, like they were the 2 biggest problems with
the team.  But, honesty, a junior goalie, second round
NHL draft pick with THIS many games under his belt has
got to stop some breakaways, the ONLY ones that did
not score this season were shot over the goal post or
went wide.

and Bob, you don't GET rebounds in front of the
opponents' nets when all 3 forwards are in the corners
all the time.  This is in the long list of problems,
but I did not want to just rant and rant.  There is
something to be said for putting one more player in
the corner than the other team has, but when you get
the puck, there is nothing you can do with it, except
take it all the way to the net yourself, or pass it
back to the point, and if that guy misses, guess what,
you have a break away, and I know what happens then.
(many of Billy's and Rob's minuses are off of
breakaways and shorhanded goals where the point
misplays the puck, it is not really their fault if
they are in the corner where they are told to be, you
cannot back check 200 feet and catch a guy who got the
puck at the blue line)

has anyone else noticed that Dekasrozza consistently
beats opposing defenders to the puck when maine dumps
it in to the corners?  That IS hustle above and beyond
anything that anyone should expect from a player.
TEddy could fly, but I don't remember him beating any
defender to the puck in races into the corner.

this team still has many more plusses than minuses,
but I am not going to blame the players for lack of
effort, Keenan, the online whipping boy, gives it his
all each and every shift, I see it in his face and
eyes.  He cannot help it if he has different linemates
every game and he does not what their tendencies are,
it takes time to learn to play with a new linemate,
much more than half a week.  And Keenan cannot be
faulted for turning the puck over at the point night
after night, game after game.  He does not belong
there and Duffy does.  This is a coaching decision,
not a player problem.
Tim does have a way of getting the team to gel at the
end of the year.  as bizzarre as it sounds, I think
that he engineers these problems so that the boys know
how to overcome adversity and they know the bitter
sting of defeat and learn not to like it.  The players
hustle and work hard, I do not see anyone out there
taking it easy.  Most of hockey is reacting to
situations, knowing what your linemates will do in
those situations is more than half of ones decision on
how to react, and a player cannot possibly know what
the linemates' tendencies are if he has not played
with them before and he even has new linemates from
Friday to Saturday.
also, there were ar least 2 times when Maine players
dove to break up plays while backchecking in the
second period on saturday.  But diving can meant aht
you were so far out of position you have no business
being on the ice.

I cannot wait for Clarke to be back on the ice either.

happy thanksgiving

Make Yahoo! your homepage.
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs