ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Adam Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:30:24 -0500
My only question would be - what's the point of publishing a picture of her?
Are we trying to support the "she must have deserved it" theory?  Should we
start publishing the pictures of everyone who shows up on the Police Beat
section of a newspaper?  How about the classifieds so you know who you are
buying from (maybe their appearance will somehow influence your purchase)?

It sounds like the point you are moving towards is saying that if the press
is going to choose what to publish (i.e. choosing not to publish her
picture) then they should be able to choose not to run the article.  I agree
that they have that choice, but I think it's a poor comparison.  An article
about charges being pressed against a student athlete is a lot different
than the picture of the accuser.

Did the BDN even run House's photo with the article?

And, on the flip side:  If I am pulled over for DUI, I show up in the Bangor
Daily.  How is that different than someone being accused of sexual assault?
Why should one be published and the other not?  Please bear in mind - I'm
not saying anyone is guilty, nor am I taking sides on the issue, I just
don't understand why the BDN publishing an article about someone being
charged with sexual assault is that big of a deal.  If he wanted to protect
his career, he shouldn't grope women in public.

--Adam