ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:22:31 -0800
not to defend and real wrongdoing, but read and reread
the report.

He has been suspended for alleged touching.  This is
Napoleonic law, unfortunately.  Maybe this is how
things have to be up there, but I can tell you I am
really happy that in the real world there are 3 huge
differences.
1. I get punished after I am proven guilty, not when
accused.  And my punishment when I am proven guilty is
doubled because someone else did the same sort of
thing last year, I am judged on what I did.
2. Grabbing a breast in a nighttclub as a man passes a
woman is a face slap offense, or a punch in the mouth,
and the police are not called.
3. Last, in the real world, newspapers that print this
sort of BS just to increase circulation when they know
that publication of such stories will ruin a kid's
carreer are pretty trashy rags, other papers show
restraint.

I know of an NHL all star who used to get caught with
young (legal age) men out in public on a fairly
regular basis... The Boson police would tell this guy
to take it somewhere else and NOT arrest him not
because he was a star, but because that they knew that
the punishment would grossly outweigh the offense.
The Briins would ditch him and nobody would ever pick
him up.  I also know a reporter at a Boston newspaper
who said that he would never publish these stories
even though he knew of the offenses and where and when
to go to get photographs.  He said that as long as
they were consenting adults, he would not just ruin
this guy's NHL career.

Can the BDN show a little bit or restraint???
Do I have to read it every time Derek Damon misses a
philosopy class?
Did the BDN HAVE to publish all of the unsubstantiated
reports surrounding the Mike Hamilton and posse
incident??? If you remember the story printed, it
sounded like Hammy rounded up 11 hockey players and
drove over the the house of the guy who stole his
girlfriend to have all of his friends kick the guy's
head in.
The BDN NEVER printed a retraction or an apology when
the facts came to light that Mike was invited to the
apartment which was in the same complex as where he
and the posse were already hanging out, outdoors.
They did not print that when Hammy walked up the
walkway, he was met at the door by the "victim"
wielding a baseball bat and threatening him.  They
also did not print that the 4 guys who were arrested
for criminal trespass were simply standing on a
sidewalk outside the door to the apt, in a perfectly
legal place to be.

Until I know the facts, I am not going to condemn
Tanner House... It is often difficult to imagine how a
guy who was summonsed (NOT ARRESTED) for such unlawful
offensive touching could be innocent, but just ask
yourself if that was the girl he had been with the
night before, or if he and she had been dirty dancing
for a while prior to the offense...
A lot of things are possible, let's stand behind him
when he needs it, ok?

Jim the lawyer, who really hates it when people are
tried and convicted in the media.