ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
james acheson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:44:55 -0700
if any of you remember Reg Cardinal.. this year's team
seems to be all Reg.  All hustle all the time.

just as a BC powerplay was winding down, I was just
thinking to myself that I was glad that they did not
have a sniping defenseman like JD Forrest or BOtty
Allen or Mike Motteau who could rifle in a rebound
from the circle on the PP, like they have done so many
times before, and just as I was thinking that, Carl
Sneep buried the first goal of the game from the
circle, just like Forrest did to Maine a couple years
ago.

Billy had a break away and scored after deking the
goalie, a very pretty goal.  VanDyk came out of the
box beghind the D and got fouled on a breakaway to
draw a penalty, ... a great hustle play, and Laise did
the same when he got behind the D and got fouled on a
breakaway.
NOw the wierd stuff... Clarke had a goal called back
for kicking it in.  he says that he never saw the
puck, so I have to wonder what the referees saw.
Hansen had originally awarded the goal, and he was in
perfect position to see the action.  One of the
assistants explained that Clarke kicked the puck in.
(players are allowed to direct the puck into the net
in the NCAA, i.e. they can put their skate at the
correct angle for a deflection, but they cannot make a
"distinct kicking motion" to propel the puck.  If
Clarke did not know where the puck was, it is unlikely
that he made such a motion.)

Last, Someone scored a goal that went 8 or so inches
over the goal line, but the refs were all back in the
neutral zone when the goal judge turned on the lamp.
My son and lots of people in the Maine section saw teh
puck cross the line (as did the goal judge), but no
goal was awareded.  BC dodged a couple bullets/  This
was the first 3-1 tie I think I have ever seen.

I look forward to watching this hard working team in
weeks to come.