ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 01:18:40 -0400
Bob Woodbury wrote, in part:
> I don't think Maine stopped playing. I think MSU started playing.

I agree, Bob!  Maine continued to play very hard!  It was MSU that was
backing up for the first 5 minutes giving Maine room to skate and
control the puck.

At 2-0, my 12-year-old was "going nuts".  During a TV-timeout, I leaned
over to him and tried to explain why I thought the next goal would be by
the winning team.  MSU came out of that break playing like we thought
they could and would ... and it was from there a game either side might
have won, IMHO.  MSU Berg is a funny goalie.  He's tiny and sometimes
doesn't look that good ... but he put himself in the right places and
just kept the puck out of the net (against UMaine & BC).

On a completely different note, but apropos to the subject of this
thread ... I was surprised and disappointed by the BC fans in STL.  I
was surprised by how many were there in STL, compared to previous NCAA
tournaments.  NO WHERE NEAR the amount of MAINE FANS, but the best
showing by far since I've been viewing the tournament.  However I was
surprised how their fans were blaming Brian Boyle for the loss.  Boyle
was on the ice for both of MSU's (important) goals and made plays
(turnovers) that led to MSU goals, but he was on the ice for most of the
game!  Boyle was a monster on defense and helped the offense enough so
really give BC a great chance to win.   If I was forming a team, ...
give me a Josh Soares ... give me a Brian Boyle.

cheers, wayne