ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:51:31 -0400
james acheson wrote, in part:
>   PLEASE someone...anyone thank Grant Standbrook for having SOMETHING
> to do with the success of the team.

After the Championship game Saturday night, I bumped into Grant and
thanked him for his part in another great season.

Sometimes, I wonder if Maine fans understand the part, the major part,
the coaching staff has in the Maine successes over the years.  Yes, we
have the wonderful Shawn Walsh addition and we have a great fan turnout,
but have any of you compared Alfond Arena to the newer venues in the
east and some of CCHA and most of WCHA?   Maybe the Alfond is sized
right for the UMaine community, but it just doesn't measure up to a
significant number of rinks ... and the programs in those rinks are
going after and getting the "best" players.

Certainly UMaine is a good school where hockey athletes can and do
succeed.  How is it that UMaine is able to compete with BU, BC and UNH?

On another note, I had the opportunity to chat with RPI AD Ken Ralph
earlier today.  He tells me that Jim Montgomery is working hard for
Rensselaer as an Assistant Men's Ice Hockey Coach and doing very well.
Jim wants to be a college head coach one day.

RPI will be UMaine's guest for the game in Portland next season ... I
think he said January 5th.

Great turnout of Maine fans in St. Louis --- it really amazes people how
that little University way up there in the corner of the US can "travel"
so well. :-)

Finally, the "Peoria Rivermen" are the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis
Blues.  One of the rumors bouncing around St. Louis was that Josh Soares
did not return with the UMaine team.  This seems "confirmed" by Deron's
quote. Congratulations, Josh!

cheers, wayne