ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:31:00 -0500
At 02:21 PM 2/25/97 -0500, Cathy Hart wrote:

>IMHO, they picked the right guy for HE Commissioner!!

I was curious why you think this?

Personally I'm a bit concerned.  Yes, I like the fact that Bertagna isn't
tied to any HE schools, but he has always been a very strong ECAC man.  Does
this mean that the topic of HE and ECAC recombining will come back?

Now the only way I'd support this is if there were two divisions (NORTH AND
SOUTH for instance) and each division could run things their own way.  With
the stringent schedule and scholarship restrictions some of the ECAC teams
deal with, I don't want that to happen to Hockey East.

Also remember, the NCAA changed its rules (no way!) so that one sport
conferences (read:  Hockey East) no longer have voting power.  So, HE, CCHA
and WCHA no longer have voting rights.

Theoretically, if a proposal came regarding hockey, non-hockey conferences
could decide it since only the ECAC will have voting power next season.

This is why the Yankee Conference was disbanded after this year and Maine
football moved to the A-10.

Another possible idea here is that America East and Hockey East will merge
operations.  This would be interesting since Vermont is an America East
school, do they come on board?  It would certainly make the conference stronger.

Something is going to happen though, likely this offseason.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])