ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 13:02:00 EST
Heather wrote, in part..
> ... I
>think that it is sad that many students who wish to get tickets cannot,
>because of the low amount of tickes available for them. ...

Please explain!  My understanding is that 1,500 tickets are available
yet many are not claimed.  What is meant by "low amount ... available"?

>don't have to pay for our tickets, but we do pay for them in other
>ways...tuition being the main reason. ...

I would have guessed the main reason was a fee you paid.

>                ... but there is a main issue being looked over
>here....It is a college team, the team represents a school. And when
>those students cannot have a certain alotted space given to them to
>cheer on the team, the arena is quiet and dead. In any game you only
>see a few hundred students, if that, cheering on the school. Not to be
>rude, but the rest of the crowd just sits there. It's a game not a
>funeral. The only time that they cheer is when the team scores and that
>is sad.

But how did it get this way (few students)?  When the newest addition
was made, a major portion of one grandstand was *reserved* for students.
Can anyone tell us why that was changed?  I have some guesses, and I've
alluded to some possibilities in other postings on this subject.

I think it's time for the students that now attend to stop complaining
about non-students and get their fellow students to show up,
consistently and over the long haul.

Let's focus on the real problems not denigrate and harass fellow hockey
supporters.  :-(

Wayne Smith
Old Town Landing