ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:12:18 -0500
You were indeed fortunate...it could have been sung by that hack Rene
Rancourt. He's fine for that "once a year" visit, but try him 30+ times at
Bruins games, ugh.

Did they have that dork announcer with the "let's play hockey" statement to
start the game ?  How lame...what's it supposed to be:  "gentlemen, start
your engines..."  ?

>Just curious as to what folks thought of the national anthem...it was sung
>by Merrimack singer Jill Martin.  She is only 13.  When the league guys
>heard her sing one night this season they asked her to sing at the Fleet.
>It was a great opportunity and honor for her.  It will not be the
>last...she won a regional competition and is going to Las Vegas in October
>for the nationals.  Someday we will be buying her CDs. :-)
>
>I thought that with all the times I have heard her, she was even more
>amazing before such a big crowd.  It seemed to really get everyone going.
>
>A nice moment was at the last home game when she came out and captain
>Reggie Stringer skated over to give her an autographed jersey on behalf of
>the team.  Jill put on the jersey for her last home performance of the
>season.  I think it is safe to say she will be back next year. :-)
>
>One of her teachers is also an assistant football coach at Merrimack, that
>is how she was "discovered".

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***