ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:51:38 -0500
For those who have been on this list for awhile, it appears an old
Walsh-basher has had an epiphany.  I loved their new opinion:  "It's a
waste of time to moralize..."

See below from HOCKEY-L:

>Sender: The College Hockey Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Young Freshman vs. Old Freshman
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>This whole debate about young vs. old is bogus.  Dick Umile (UNH coach)
>told me several years ago that the best thing that ever happened with
>eastern hockey is when Hockey East started the interlocking schedule with
>the WCHA (mid-80's).  At the time the eastern schools were, by and large,
>still taking the "moral high ground", recruiting kids right out of
>public/prep school and graduating them at age 21 or 22.
>
>Soon after they started playing the UND's, Denvers, and Wisconsins of the
>world, they found that many of the schools could not compete on a
>consistent basis.  Why?  Because their opponents were mentally, emotionally
>and physically more mature.  Thus, as time went on, the eastern schools
>started to play the western recruiting game and THAT is why we are where we
>are today.
>
>The bottom line for all coaches is winning.  If you can't compete, you
>can't win.  Period.  "Moral high grounds" mean nothing to coaches, winning
>does.  If the NCAA says it's legal, then they will do what the rules allow
>them to do.
>
>One more point, I have watched the change in college hockey over the years
>and all that is different now is the venue from which the players come,
>not the players themselves.  They are still as earnest as they ever were,
>striving to compete and, in most cases, getting their degree.  I see the
>outstanding achievements, both on and off the ice, of guys who have come to
>UNH and played and got their diplomas.  What difference does it make
>whether they are 21 or 24 when they graduate?  They have their whole lives
>ahead of them and, with a college degree, they have options that they may
>not have had if they had taken the "moral high ground".
>
>It's a waste of time to moralize about this issue.  On with the games!
>
>Greg Ambrose
>
>JASON KROG FOR HOBEY!!
>GO UNH BLUE!!
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***