ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:29:17 -0500
james acheson wrote, in part,  on 2/25/2007 6:42 PM:
> many people these past few weeks, at the games, have commented on how
> "quiet" I have been on this discussion board.
> these people of course are people WHO HAVE NEVER POSTED ANY DISCUSSION
> whatsoever.
> people, discuss!

Good point.

> I heard a lot of grumbling that Maine did not take it to Merrimack
> like they "should have". ...

During the first dozen minutes of Saturday's game, UMaine looked like a
Frozen Four team ... keep the faith! ;-)

> I liked that Hamilton looks like he has fully recovered from the knee
> problems that were bugging him all of last year (and maybe his soph.
> year as well), Ditto Billy's ankle recovery...

I thought Johnson looked fast ... faster than whatever injury slowed him
down.

I agree with the Ryan thought ... fast and mobile. Nice game.

> Ben looked good, Wilson looked great in relief.  Granted it is a
> little easier to play against Merrimack breakaways than it is to play
> against Bradford, Gerbe, MOtherwell and the rest of the BC team, but
> Merrimack has all D1 players and Wilson did a great job against them.

Exactly.

> What more?  Talk people... what did you see?

I thought a couple of the big-hitting senior forwards still are without
consistent transition to defense.  Those BC forwards mentioned above
would have had a number of open chances 12 feet in front of Bishop had
MC been able to get the puck there.  But that makes it sound like I know
what's going on (clearly not the case!).

> Did anyone else notice that Tim is playing only 4 defensemen in the
> 3rd periods of many games (IN ORDER TO WIN, ...

Yes, Jon and I agreed on that, chatting Saturday night, too!

on other fronts ...

A couple of people said that Dan Hannigan reported that UMaine only had
to win 1 more to assure itself of home ice.  I don't think that's quite
accurate ... I hope to find time to figure it out, but I challenge any
and everyone to do it first.  (I think UMaine may need 3 points to
assure home ice in HEA playoffs ... with only 2, cannot VT win 4 points
and take 4th place?  Likewise, I think UMaine can drop to 6th place with
a split!  I eagerly await more thoughtful analysis! ;-)

cheers, wayne