ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John W Duffill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:55:13 -0500
Dave Wollstadt wrote:

> I agree that parents of Division 1 hockey players should appreciate what they
> have, as John Duffil says, but I'm not sure how that translates into
> acceptance of serious injuries as part of the game.

  I totally agree that the rate of serious injury in hockey and other sports has
grown to a scary level.  I think one way to help curb it is to enforce the rules
better (high stick, slash, boarding).  I feel if you injure a player and that
player misses games  the offender misses the same amount of games.

Believe it or not, one of the biggest contributors to the increase in injury is
the improvement of the equipment.  The players now have a fearless attitude.  I
hope that the powers in charge will finally do something about this.

John Duffill
An original Friend of Maine Hockey