ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Ed Sczerba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 08:37:42 EST
Two of the top rated teams in the country will be going at each other this
weekend at what I think will be the clash of the Titans east of the Kennebec.

Of the two teams, Maine coming off last weekend is in better shape knowing that
they can (beat) do what has to be done to an offensive minded team. UNH not
having played any tough team since their loss to Miami-Ohio on 28 December,
won't be as well prepared as the Black Bears.

Do no make the assumption that UNH will be completely out of it; they have the
ability to come from behind once you try to play to their level and let them
into their game (as against BU on 12 Dec three goals down). They take great
pride in their speed and no doubt they have the fastest forwards in Hockey East
and a goalie who wanted to play at MAINE (ergo...he's good) . As a whole, the
team is 'scarey'. They build momentum faster than their opponents once they
score, and are perfecting their touch passing deep in the offensive zone. You
hurt them by beating them to the puck.

They do lack defense deep in their zone, as they tend to spread out due to a
lack of discipline. Here enter the reasons why Maine is better team :
                        COACHING + DEFENSIVE DISCIPLINE

With a commitment to each other as a team, and our Coach, the stage is set for
ALFOND to rock for our Bears this weekend. Too bad no one is picking it up on
the tube for the rest of New England to witness. Will be making the trip up
from Kittery to finally meet the rest of you.
r/
  ZERB