ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:00:14 EST
All those HOME BEAR thoughts and comments (thanks Kevin) are really
appreciated by all of us who are unable to see games first hand. I always
wonder after reading USCHO or USA TODAY game re-caps how accurate they are or
what vital pieces of information may be left out. Sometimes, I feel they are
overviews that seem technically correct, but leave more questions for the
reader to guess about.

An example of this is Dave Hendrickson's re-cap on the MAINE, BC scoreless
tie. He says about both teams, that there was "nothing left in their
excitement tank" and it was a"snoozer for the first game of the league's new
television package on SPORTSCHANNEL NEW ENGLAND". Yet, I've heard from other
people that it was in fact an entertaining game and that Alfie was a thrill to
watch!

Kevin's re-cap gives us something more than we can assume from the stats. That
it was a team effort back there even though they were only playing four
defensemen. "As far as the BC game, I thought the Maine D led by the superb
efforts of Alfie, was outstanding." He gives us the entire puzzle while the
USCHO commentary gives us pieces to put together ourselves, "the Black Bear
goalie rose to the occasion."

Hendrickson said, we "employed shell strategy," while Alfie said, "the guys
did a nice job of clearing out the rebounds." My point is that Hendrickson's
view is we were already down due to "attrition" and we had to play a "trap" to
survive, not exactly positive. What was positive, is that we pulled out a
point and wound up  tied with BC in a four team, first place, spot.  I'm
assuming, BC had all of their guns in (the out shooting us part was clear
enough) position Saturday night!? Hendrickson doesn't mince adjectives in
describing our disadvantages, but did he give us equal print for pulling off a
point!?

He said, "Maine relied on the occasional counterpunch while BC pressed." This
was the tell all statement. Games are not always won on offense, surely
Hendrickson knows that!?

I'm just saying, that whoever I was routing for the true picture got lost.

They were spent ( that was their only excuse for not winning, right )!
We were spent, minus legs and had to play a game plan but got a point anyway!?

As a completely objective bystander (and I can do that) knowing all the facts,
seeing it from both points of view, weighing all the variables .....they lost
and we won, no!?   (-:

-Price