ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:08:29 -0500
Hi!

I would also like to share some thoughts about the recent two games.  I
was in attendance at the Merrimack game (in fact, I was close enough at
the MC game that I could have high-fived Coach Walsh after the game -- I
was tempted but held back).

I think Maine looked great offensively against Merrimack, especially in
the first 2 periods.  They were really pressing the action and playing
some vintage "Maine" hockey that we have come to know and appreciate.

They got back on their heels a little bit in the 3rd especially when
they gave up the SHG -- this was just an ugly goal where Lundback got
stripped by LaRoche and seemed to give up on the play.  There was an
interesting moment here... Lundback skated over to the Maine bench with
his head down - I suppose he thought his shift was over at that point.
Coach Walsh met him at the bench and said "Get back out there!".  I
think it was one of those "Get back on that horse and ride!" lessons.
After that, the hotly contested playing involving Wansborough and
Rodrigues really seemed to spark MC (a play that Fitzy really blew in my
opinion --  Walsh and the Maine faithful really let him have it when he
skated over to the announcer's booth).  I think most of the Maine
faithful expected Rodrigues to get the major and that Wansborough would
get no more than a minor (what Wansborough did - a little extra poke at
the puck goes on all the time!).  Interestingly enough, just prior to
this incident, Scoville had shattered his stick upon entering the
penalty box to give Maine the original 5-3 situation.  Fitzy obviously
missed that as well since Scoville should have been whistled for an
extra 2 minutes for that unnecessary display.  At any rate, Maine really
sat back from this point and MC really carried the play for most of the
duration of the game.

There was another questionable call with about a minute left in the
action.  Maine had narrowly missed an ENG as they had cleared the puck
down the ice -- but they had 2 attackers down ice to one Merrimack
defender so they still had a good chance to poke home the loose puck but
the Merrimack defender slid into the goal and knocked it off its
moorings.  It looked intentional to several of us in attendance but
again no call from Fitzy.  Oh well...  Maine shouldn't have let the game
get that close but they did and MC deserves a lot of credit for hanging
in there.

To Maine's credit,however, they didn't quit and they continued to fight
until they eventually perservered.   It was a great effort and a good
night of college hockey all in all.

As far as the BC game,  I thought the Maine D, led by the superb efforts
of Alfie, was outstanding.  My hat is off to Coach Walsh and company for
putting together a game plan where they could at least garner a tie.

Great job Maine - let's keep it rolling....!

- Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"