ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 09:26:44 -0500
Deron Treadwell wrote:

> It'll be interesting to see the polls this week.  I think Maine could drop
> out, however as someone who saw both games (like many of you) if I had to
> give the edge to one team or the other on the weekend as a whole it was
> clearly to Maine's advantage.  Friday night Maine was handled easily, but
> it wasn't your typical 6-1 game -- it was much closer, a lot like Maine's
> 6-1 game with Minnesota earlier in the year.  Maine didn't totally beat up
> on Minnesota, just put away their chances.  But Saturday night, Maine
> totally hammered BC.  The first period was sort of run-and-gun but Maine
> made the adjustments and they just took over the game.  BC never threatened
> again after the first period.  The fact that BC is a very good team makes
> Saturday's win all the more impressive.
>
> Comments?
> ---

Although I hate to see it, I too think the Bears might drop out of the
top 10 after this weekend.  I don't agree with it but it could happen.
The voters seem to still have some lingering hatred for Maine and its
program due to their prior troubles - it's like they want them to fail.
This is just my $.02 but it's the way I see things right now.  I think
we can solidify a spot in the top 10 if we start to play solid hockey.
This weekend in the Governor's Cup should be a good chance to showcase
their talents - my prediction : Maine over Vermont easily, UNH over UML
in a romp, and then Maine over UNH in a fierce battle that is decided by
a goal.  UMaine and UNH have both been a little soft on the defensive
side of things this year but both are explosive at times (note UNH's
11-4 win over MC and Maine's 12-5 win over BC), whichever team plays the
better D should win any game between these two.

Looking to make it 2/3 Governor's Cups....

- Kevin

  Kevin C. Tompkins                  Boston Technology, Inc.
  phone/vmx = 1-800-866-2678(x8740)  [log in to unmask]
  "Ya do....  what ya gotta do...  so... JUST DO IT!!!!!"