ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:24:17 EDT
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that the NCAA investigation
has shown some drawbacks to being a booster.  Fans may be reluctant to get
involved with Friends of Maine Hockey if NCAA regulations mean that such a
membership means they can't, for example, talk to a high school player about
going to Maine, a restriction they would not face otherwise.  I don't have
time to look up what all those restrictions are, but my guess is that more
people that one would imagine simply want to stay away from the booster
classification entirely.

That said, I am surprised that FMH numbers aren't higher.  Cathy's heart-felt
comments seem to portray membership as almost an *obligation* of true fans, but
I'd look at its benefits and think more would simply *want* to join.  The
benefits certainly are there.

Dave Hendrickson     [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for U.S. College Hockey Online
         http://www.uscollegehockey.com