ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wes Larose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:43:14 -0400
Mathy Matturro wrote:

> [log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
> >Maine struggled to score goals this weekend (and really the last few
> >weeks).  I think the loss of Kariya and Cullen, along with the timely
> >goals
> >of Stewart and Gustafsson shows a bit.  Maine is still looking for that
> >player who is going to step up and be the on-ice leader like Kariya and
> >Cullen.  We've got a great team, but even a team as balanced as Maine
> >needs
> >that go-to player to emerge.
>
> i think that these two loses were very healthy for umaine,,,, i think
> that boys played aggressively and that they did not go down with at
> least a fighting chance... i think that the biggest problem among
> others is that everyone is comparing this team to that of last
> years....this a totally different team with different strengths and
> weaknesses.  it is important to recognize that....no one will ever be
> able to take the places of steve or cullen, we need to focus on the new
> talent and the returners...if they are going to make a mark this
> season, it is going to be on their own terms and not like that of last
> years team.  we had a very good recruiting year and we need to take
> that talent and showcase it to all its abilities.... ya know, sometimes
> the best medicine taste the worst.....i think that it is important to
> put these loses behind us and prepare of Boston university who will be
> very tough as we know, this Friday night.....

Hello All:

Your remarks are dead on....let's leave last year to last year and the
history books....let's all get behind this year's team and cheer THEM on
from now on....it serves no purpose to the current players to lament the
loss of a Gordie Howe or a Wayne Gretzky !! This team could well be the
oyster which, when irritated by a grain of sand ( a loss here or there ),
may produce a pearl.

Wes Larose