ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:39:35 -0400
Lundback discounts heart trouble

By Larry Mahoney and Pete Warner

Magnus Lundback, a senior winger for the University of Maine men's hockey team,
is expected to return to the ice today after missing several days due to an
irregular heart beat. Lundback has seen a cardiologist and had several tests
performed on him, but they have proven to be negative.
"There's nothing wrong with my heart. It's something that runs in the family on
my mother's side," said Lundback. "When it happens, it isn't a pleasant
feeling. But I've got to forget about it. I want to start practicing, see how
it feels, and then I'll take it from there."
Maine trainer Paul Culina said Lundback's progress will be closely monitored.
Lundback also developed high blood pressure, but that is subsiding, according
to Lundback.
In other news, Culina said redshirt freshman right wing Tommy Reimann has been
skating without contact after suffering a mild concussion last week. He will
skate with full contact Sunday.
Walk-on goalie Adam Pobiak has been cut, Walsh said.
Walsh added that there will be a 3 p.m. scrimmage today that is open to the
public, and he expects to cut three more players
this weekend.

Hockey East dominating

The fact Hockey East put three teams in the Frozen Four last season was no
fluke. The accomplishment magnified an impressive decade for the 16-year
league.
Hockey East has put 16 teams in the Frozen Four in the 1990s, more than any
other conference. The CCHA is second with 12 followed by the WCHA (8) and the
ECAC (4).
UMaine won the league's first national title in 1993 and the league has won two
more since (Boston University in '95 and Maine in '99), tying it with the CCHA
for the most NCAA crowns in the last seven years.
In that span, Hockey East leads in Frozen Four appearances with 12 followed by
the CCHA (9), the WCHA (5) and the ECAC (2).
Nine of the last 20 Frozen Four teams and five of the last eight have been from
Hockey East.
Hockey East has a .615 winning percentage against teams from the other three
major conferences over the last two years.
UMaine coach Shawn Walsh said there are a variety of reasons behind the
league's prominence.
"Our recruiting has expanded nationally and internationally," said Walsh, who
pointed out he was the only Hockey East coach recruiting in western Canada when
he took over in 1984. Now virtually all the schools recruit there.
He also said the influence of the Bobby Orr-era Boston Bruins teams is still
evident and has led to a wealth of New England talent.