ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deirdre Schleich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:20:20 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/99 5:01:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I have heard that the Thunder went bankrupt soon after the 98-99 season;
can
 anyone confirm?

They didn't go bankrupt.  The Thomas and Mack stadium (property of the
University of Nevada Las Vegas) no longer wanted to host the team and there
is no other place here in Las Vegas that was viable.  There were two other
possiblities but the owners were not interested in a hockey team.  The owners
of the team didn't seem to want to continue the franchise, but they are
holding onto the rights to the team name.
Rumor has it now that instead of IHL Vegas will host a WCHL team.  Who knows?
I live in Vegas but I am not an expert on this.  If anyone else knows more or
if I have gotton any of it wrong don't hesitate to let everyone know.
Deirdre