ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Rick Wasgatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:00:10 -0700
Bingo. Let's put this to rest now and get on with our lives.

>>> "Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]> 2/23/99 9:16:05 AM >>>
>I read about the Jacob Fraser story in the BDN....
>         ... However, the GM of the auto
>dealership called Jacob the next day and gave him
>a $1000 scholarship plus the chance to come back
>Saturday and shoot at an open net for $1500 more
>in scholarship money - and he was able to shoot
>the puck into the empty net for $1500 more.  At
>least he got something substantial out of the
>ordeal......
>
>Thoughts?

The puck didn't go in.  It was *real* close, as it rattled in the hole
and sat on the line ...  mostly outside of the hole.  It was a great
shot.  The puck didn't go in (until Bananas nudged it in half a minute
later).

What's so hard to understand?  Put the puck in an incredibly small hole
and you win a truck.  What a deal!

We all *wanted* the puck to go in. The puck didn't go in.

We all *wanted* Jake to win the truck. He didn't.

Maybe everyone of you that truly believes Jake should win a truck
should donate $1,000 each.  It'll probably only take 16-18 of you ...
less if you can talk Dodge and the dealership into joining you.  They
have no moral or ethical or legal reason to join you, but I'll bet
there's a better chance of that than finding 16-18 people willing to go
from spending someone else's money to spending their own.

The Dodge dealership is known to have a long relationship with U Maine
and is great supporter.  To blame them for Jake almost making the shot
is ridiculous and counter-productive.  If they do get real backlash from
this, they can take their time and dollars elsewhere ...  and who would
blame them for that!  :-(

That said, I don't know what to think of the $2,500 scholarship.

It's great for Jake ...  don't get me wrong.  The dealership didn't have
to do that.  But what did they do?  Did they "reallocate" planned gifts
for next year to Jake?  If so, this could be looked at as "spin".  If it
really is "new money", then I'll certainly think of Phil McFarlane (sp)
and his crew at the Dodge dealership as more generous than I thought ...
and I've always thought of them as very generous to U Maine!

For everyone that boo'd, if you joined Friends of Maine Hockey today,
maybe the hockey program would have a computer or two manufactured in
this decade.  It's easy to spend someone else's money;  do something on
your own!

For a little hockey content:

(1) A Maine NCAA "bye" is not at all certain.  Take care of business in
    the next 4 games and it is probable.  Win HEA regular season and HEA
    tournament and it is a lock.  Far from an easy task, though, no
    matter how we like our young men and the talent and heart they possess.

(2) Last August 22, Eric Fenton was married to Mary Day O'Donnell.  A
    BDN article last fall listed them as living in Milwaukee with Eric
    employed by the Milwaukee Admirals Hockey Club.

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing