ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:24:48 -0500
Christopher D. Bailey writes:
>Yeah, sounds like a wonderful idea!  If we need to free up a few
>hundred seats the only logical thing to do would be to take them from
>the 700 that are reserved for UMaines 10,000 students!  Great plan!
>       Each students pay a $210 COMPREHENSIVE FEE each semester.  With ten
>thousand students paying this charge you're talking about more than 4
>million dollars a yr being paid by the student body to fund activities.
> Though only a percentage of this is dispersed to cover hockey games, I
>think we should be entitled to our 700 seats!

This is the second message I've received today with this misconception.

For the record, students are allotted 1500 tickets per game.  The
PROBLEM is that they are only using 700-800 of those tickets and
because of the new ticket policy, the remaining 700 or so seats are
going empty.

There are more than enough student tickets, and even if you cut 300,
you still have over 400 more tickets than have been used at any time
this season and are still under the record for students at one game
ever (including the championship season) of 1100.

I promise you that no one in the athletic department would cut any of
the 1500 student tickets if they are being used.  Right now, students
aren't even close to that.  That is the fault of the students.
Personally, I want the arena full every night and I do not care much
for the idea of 700 empty seats.

It is real simple, students should either show up to games or expect to
lose some tickets from the 1500 they get already.  President Hoff
should be applauded for giving students this opportunity when he was
faced with pressure to cut student tickets from the start, but it is up
to the students now to either put up or shut up.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living that wears
you out."
                                        - Anton Chekhov