ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Stephen Thibeault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:56:45 -0500
UMAINE OFFICIALS REACT TO NCAA CERTIFICATION

ORONO -- The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) today
added 13 colleges and universities, including the University of Maine,
to the list of those institutions now certified under the Association's
new program, mandated by legislation passed in 1993.  Today's additions
bring to 177 the number of institutions to be certified since the
process began.  All 308 NCAA member institutions will be reviewed for
program certification by the time the program is five years old.

This designation means that UMaine "has shown that it operates its
athletics program in substantial conformity with operating principles
adopted by the Division I membership," according to a news release from
the NCAA.  The certification process examines an athletic department's
academic and financial integrity, governance and commitment to rules
compliance, and commitment to equity.

"We are very pleased with the clean bill of health that we have
received from the NCAA," says UMaine President Peter S. Hoff. "The
certification process involves a close examination of our
athletics-related programs and their fit within our overall mission and
it is indeed gratifying to receive such a positive report. On behalf of
the University, I offer thanks to the faculty, students, and staff who
worked on the certification process."

The process began with a self-study which involved numerous members of
the
UMaine community.  A peer-review team visited campus in June of 1997
and the decision to grant certification was made by the NCAA Committee
on Athletics Certification in January of this year.

"We are extremely pleased that, after a very thorough review,  the NCAA
has concluded that our athletic program is being operated within the
scope and operating principles defined by the NCAA," says UMaine
Director  of Athletics and Recreation Suzanne J. Tyler. "The
certification process included the entire university community and, as
a result, helped to sensitize people of the challenges facing
intercollegiate athletics on this campus.  Furthermore, we have been
evaluated by colleagues from  other member institutions and they have
endorsed the way we conduct our athletic program.  This is quite
gratifying and certainly something of which everybody associated with
the University of Maine should be proud."

The University of Maine offers the only Division I collegiate athletics
program in Maine, providing opportunities for more than 400 students
competing in 19 sports.  The certification is good for ten years, with
an interim report in five years.