ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 02:12:38 -0500
At 12:35 AM 2/17/97 EST, Wayne Smith wrote:

>(2) Though the "annual exemptions" penalty was not directly appealed, it
>    is commonly believed that the NCAA would have lifted this penalty
>    *if* the NCAA post-season ban was lifted.

It was automatic as I understand it.  When you are banned, you lose your
exemptions, so when you are "un"banned, you must get them back.  It's moot
anyways.

>    (Maine will not compete in the HEA tournament only because of HEA
>    rule that HEA tournament eligible teams must be eligible for the
>    NCAA tournament -- a good rule, IMHO.  HEA should have the same rule
>    in place for the regular season title).

Interesting note here.. the HEA Athletic Directors did actually take a vote
on whether or not to allow Maine in.  The vote was 5-4 not in favor to admit
Maine.
Ironically, the BU athletic director was quoted in the release.

What I did not take into consideration, and probably why 3 other schools
voted with Maine to admit them, is that gate receipts Maine generates.
Maine has a large traveling following, and HEA could stand to lose money
this year.

For instance, instead of Maine selling 5000 tickets for a home playoff game
and potentially bring a large traveling contigent to Boston should they
advance, HEA may get Merrimack (sorry Mike) or Lowell with a home game and a
comparably less large traveling group.

I don't know what kind of money this translates into, but HEA will likely
lose some money because of it.

>(5) In the State of Maine I understand it is illegal to scalp tickets by
>    selling them for more than face value.  I wonder if this applies to
>    the ticket vendor?!  Who's going to file the class action suit to
>    get that righted, if so?  :(

Interesting.

You'd have to find out what laws apply to slaping special charges on
season-ticket packages.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the
situation (likely because I don't pay for it!) because if you want to secure
your seats, should be willing to pay a little extra.  $1 to $1.50 per game
doesn't seem like much to ask IMHO.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])