ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"(Shawna Giguere)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 18:46:28 -0500
Wow, what a discussion that's been going on the last few days.

Having just been able to get through my e-mail thanks to AOL's wonderful
connectivity, I thought I would throw my .02 in as well (better late than
never).

First I must say upfront, I am not a student at UMaine, nor is it my alma
mater, so I have no idea what it is like to try to acquire student tickets or
how many students actually attend the home games.

Second, I am not a season ticket holder, nor am I "on the list";  I do attend
every home game that I can get tickets to and I travel to at least a few road
games each year, as well as the Hockey East tournament.

I didn't start attending Maine games until around 1989 and I would have to
agree with all of you that the noise level has decreased drastically since
that time.  I rarely sit in the same section each game and I actually enjoy
moving around and getting different views of the ice and the play.  No matter
where I sit; I still yell as loud as if I was sitting with a group.  Yes,
people give me funny looks - SO WHAT!  Of course it is always more fun if you
are with a group that is yelling just as loud but who's to say you can't
cheer just because your not with them.

There has been alot of discussion about why the alfond isn't the same place
it use to be.  It's the students, it's the season ticket holders, it's the
infractions, it's......the list goes on.  It's time to stop complaining and
do something to make it better.  It sounds as though some things are being
looked at for next year, but what about this year.

As a student, when you get ready to leave for the game grab a bunch of other
students from your dorm, or your sorority/fraternity house and convince them
to go.  (I know, I know, they can't get tickets a day in advance currently,
so what; the worst that could happen is they get down to the Alfond and the
student tickets are all gone; next time call the ticket office before leaving
:-)

As for season ticket holders, most have had their tickets for a long time so
at one time, not to long ago, they were cheering.  Why did they stop?  Was
it, as mentioned in a previous post, because they became use to winning?  If
so, this would be a real disappointing reason and I would have to utter the
phrase (forgive me) Give up your tickets!, you don't deserve them.  This
current team has as much determination, talent, and ability as any team that
I have seen play at Maine.  Consistency is what they need more of.
 Considering it is highly loaded with young talent they can only get better
as they become more experienced in college hockey.  (I know, I could live to
regret that statement :-) but I do believe they will only get better.)  Even
if they don't, I'll still call to try to get tickets to see them, and I'll
still be supporting them in the stands no matter where I may be sitting.  The
team deserves at least that much from all hockey fans.

Whether you agree or disagree with decisions that were made over the past few
years it is time to move on.   You cannot support a team without giving your
"full support" to all team members.  You cannot root for the players but
despise the coach; he is a key team member, no matter who he is.  Likewise,
you cannot support the coach, but not show up to support the team.  Success
is a team effort from the coach, to the players, to the fans, to the
community.

Sorry, my .02 became .10

Shawna