ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Shermerhorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:04:01 -0500
 Frank Brickelmaier Jr wrote:

>I hope your right, but I think the problem runs deeper then the NCAA
>postseason
>ineligibility.  In 1995, when Maine went to the NCAA championship game
>I thought there
>should have been a lot more enthusiasm.  The amount of fans that came
>to Worcester in
>1993 were not there in 1995.  Hopefully, Maine does not have to go
>42-1-2 to return to
>the "good old days".

I couldn't agree more...

Why is it that this team 'needs' another 42-1-2 year???  Do you know
how hard that is to achieve, considering the evenness of teams
nowadays... (granted, you could use Michigan this year, but...)  Fans
should be happy for 10 wins, should that be all that a team can earn,
and shouldn't EXPECT to win 30 games a year and then, heaven forbid,
fail to cheer or support because of an 'unsuccessful season'.  Have
Maine fans been so spoiled that they sit on their hands BECAUSE they
expect to win???  Many programs would love to have a facility such as
the Alfond and the success that past Maine teams have had.  I'd sure
have like to play in the 'old' Alfond when the crowd impacted as the
7th player (many often leave out the goalie in that tally)...  BUT,
contrary to popular belief, the NEW alfond can be incredibly loud, the
people just need to make noise!!!

Danny