ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 19:39:57 -0400
I thought I would repost the screed from the BDN and compare it to reality,
with some comment.

Well, Mr. McLaughlin, it appears the fans of UMaine hockey have voted with
their ticket money.  They stood out in the cold to welcome Shawn Walsh back
to Orono and filled the house. One wonders if Art Mayo went to either game
and, if so, then took the time to ask his constituents what THEIR opinion
was of the propriety of Shawn's return to coaching and its effect upon the
school's reputation.

But do you think the rag will let up on him, now he's back ?  Those of you
up there kindly let us know what McLaughlin has to say now.

Onto my comments about what Shawn is doing at the rink ----------

Let me tell you all a little story.  Living in the Boston area as I do, it
is a requirement now that I see Maine at the venues; the NC$$ won't give me
the pleasure of watching on TV at home.  So, we went to both Merrimack
games at the Volpe.

On Friday night, we got into the rink about 35 minutes before the game, and
saw Shawn talking to an older couple out in the lobby.  We briefly said hi
to Shawn, welcomed him back, and wished him the best for the remainder of
the season.

After going into the rink to scope out seats (of course, behind the Maine
bench), we returned to the warmer lobby (anyone who's ever been to the
Volpe knows what I'm talking about) to wait out the beginning of the game.
The little grouping we had seen with Shawn had gone.  As we were waiting,
who comes by from the rink to the dressing room but Shawn.  He then came
over to us and said "Thanks for coming to the game, where are you from ?"
Well, we had to admit we were there from Peabody and Amesbury, Mass.
Despite the Maine home shirts each of us were wearing, and the fact that
Lindsay never attended Maine (but to Rutgers, a wimpy school without a
hockey team), I'm sure he thought we came down from the great white North.
I did tell him as a Maine alumni, I saw Game 1 and followed the team ever
since.

Shawn had a very relaxed and calm demeanor and it was evident he was quite
happy to see us there.  His personal demons are behind him, and he can now
speak on the ice.  His moulding of the team since the loss to Merrimack
that first night is quite impressive.  We could see it the following night.
Sitting behind the bench as we have many times at the smaller rinks, we
noticed a difference in how he related to the players this year.  It is
less frantic, more positive and he takes more time during the game to
interact with players.

At one point, I thought he might leave after the year ended.  Now, things
may be going in a different direction.  Is it a matter of pride for him to
return and succeed, with Maine, and contend again despite the best efforts
of everyone, including the local newspaper, to trash him and ride him out
of town on a rail ?

Only time will tell, but how about fourth place in HE !!

Here's that article again, sorry for the repost but it is curious to read
it again, after recent events, is it not ?