ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:20:25 -0500
At 01:38 PM 1/16/97 -0500, Vicki Price wrote:
>It would seem incomprehensible that the AD, who ever ( Walsh), would overlook
>all these crucial details!!

First off, this isn't something that was overlooked.  I talked with Tyler
about this in October, or November.  They've been aware of this for months.
What we don't know is how Tyler can determine that Hockey East and NCAA
tournaments count as one exemption a piece, as opposed to individual games.
I am checking on this and will let you know when I get some answers.

> How can you point the finger only in Walsh's direction? Or is this a joke,
HA >HA!!!!

Clearly Walsh has no part in this since he just returned from suspension.
This is an issue the athletic department as known since fall.

>piece of cake? The thing that pisses me off the most (can I say that, delete
>it if you must!!) is:  who is the NCAA accountable to??? They're certainly
>taking their sweet time in concluding their response to Maine's appeal and
>finalizing this ****** ordeal.

There are several factors at work here against getting this resolved
quickly.  First, the holidays.  This committee likely considered no business
between Christmas and the New Year.  Also, remember that there is a huge
amount of information on the Maine case to go over.  Suzanne Tyler also told
me today that the annual NCAA convention just ended (Jan. 15).  So, there
have been plenty of other factors involved.  Not that this excludes the NCAA
from blame because when you think that Maine was penalized on July 31, 1996
and that the appeal has taken another six months or so, it isn't very fair
to Maine.

The more time they spend, the more it could potentially benefit Maine.
Tyler feels that if the committee really studies the information, they'll
see Maine has a good case, even if it is difficult to rule against another
committee.

I wouldn't bet the house on Maine winning this appeal, but I don't think it
is hopeless either.

>I'm totally pissed because it's the players who get the shaft!!!!

Again, there is no need to jump to conclusions yet because all we are
working with is just some rumors and all that we still need to confirm.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])