ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:52:34 EST
Deron wrote, in part..
>Now, the NCAA also told Maine that they could delay the TV ban for
>another year if they had contractual obligations.  However, it was in
>Maine's interest to do this now and not prolong it.

and then ..
>So, since there are contracts that already exist, let's say the appeal
>works and Maine makes it to the FleetCenter, or even the title game
>against (ex) Boston University.  Hockey East and NESN have a contract,
>so the game will be televised.

I don't understand the reasoning.  The NCAA allowed Maine to accept the
TV ban this season or delay it until next season.  Maine picked the
former since Maine Broadcasting was very cooperative.  But your 2nd
paragraph above says that Maine in HOCKEY EAST playoffs would be
televised.  I don't see the logic.  Either Maine is banned from TV this
year or next.  Which is it?  Maine choosing next year would be dumb,
IMHO.

>Keep something else in mind.  If the appeal goes through, the NCAA is
>"essentially" saying that Maine did not deserve to be punished again
>this year (i.e. that would be excessive).  So it is understandable why
>the TV ban would not carry into the postseason.

Ah-ha!  The implicit connection of TV ban and post-season play ban.

I didn't see/hear Maine's appeal (did anyone outside of some
administrators?), but the TV ban has not been reported as appealed.

But jeez, I still think Maine is scheduled to play too many games this
season :-(

How's this for a scenario ...

   1. NCAA lifts post-season ban
   2. NCAA declares Maine ineligible for NCAA tournament because
      of TV ban.
   3. HOCKEY EAST declares Maine ineligible for HEA tourney because
      of TV ban.

Why is this not possible?

Perhaps someone can explain the real story to this feable brain ...

See the great article on little Cal in the current Friends of Maine
Hockey Newsletter!

Wayne T. Smith                         Systems Group -- CAPS
[log in to unmask]                    University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L/Info-Hockey-L/Hockey3