ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:24:49 -0500
Jonathan Carr writes:

>I was under the impression that the TV ban was intended to punnish
>Maine, and therefore would ban Maine from any TV apearances where the
>rights were purchased from Maine.  This would allow Maine to appear on
>TV at away games, etc.  It would not seem fair for Maine to be
>pussished, and have annother school have to black-out a game that they
>were contracted for.

Well, remember this is all assuming that Maine's appeal goes through.

Now, the NCAA and Hockey East have contracts to televise the Hockey
East Tournament and the NCAA Frozen Four.

Now, the NCAA also told Maine that they could delay the TV ban for
another year if they had contractual obligations.  However, it was in
Maine's interest to do this now and not prolong it.

So, since there are contracts that already exist, let's say the appeal
works and Maine makes it to the FleetCenter, or even the title game
against (ex) Boston University.  Hockey East and NESN have a contract,
so the game will be televised.

Keep something else in mind.  If the appeal goes through, the NCAA is
"essentially" saying that Maine did not deserve to be punished again
this year (i.e. that would be excessive).  So it is understandable why
the TV ban would not carry into the postseason.