From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:46:29 -0400
Hi -

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Dave Hendrickson wrote:
> BTW, it may be that Maine deserved such a harsh penalty.  I'm not privy to
> all the infractions.  But this is a harsh blow indeed.

  Yes indeed it's a harsh penalty, but how is it that the man in charge
when the infractions (that precipitated the harsh penalty to begin with)
were committed has escaped NC$$ sanctions ??  The UMO administration has
meted out it's own internal punishment, but how can you penalize "the
program" (which is essentially what a reduction in scholarships and the
TV ban) has done, without assessing any culpability to the man on whose
watch the infractions occurred ??  Did they just happen by themselves ??
I'm sorry if some of you reading this think that I'm kicking a man when
he's down, but IM(not so)HO, Shawn Walsh *HAS* to be held at least
partially responsible/accountable for the NC$$ sanctions now set in
motion, and it's the further responsibility of the NC$$ to make that
point abundantly clear by penalizing the coach (and/or AD) *as well as*
the program.  I guess Walsh didn't circumvent direct orders by NC$$
investigators (as he was proven to do during UMO's own internal inves-
tigation), so in the eyes of the NC$$ he's just a blameless victim of
circumstances beyond his control .....

  Shaking his head in disbelief - Jim