From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 02:46:09 -0400
> If my knowledge of this is correct, UMass's use of the nickname did
indeed
> clearly refer to Native Americans.  Given that, it was a wise
decision to
> change.  I can't say I know enough about how St John's used its
name, i.e.
> whether it was clear or not that "Redmen" meant simply "someone who
wears
> red" a la Syracuse and "Orangemen", rather than the negative
connotation
> with regard to Native Americans.  I'd need to know that first.
Since it
> was clear in the case of UMass, I agree with the decision to
change.

Being a lifelong "Redmen" fan -- I can say positively that REDMEN was
a term coined by 1930's sportswriters in references to the team's red
jerseys.  They did use an Indian mascot in modern years, however.

The change to Red Storm was absurd, plain and simple -- and they've
since stunk in men's hoops.

Again --- just about anything except REDSKINS can be justified, and I
agree with Mike that when handled properly, it usually can be worked
out.

But anyone who can't see that REDSKIN is a blatantly racist term just
can't see straight.  Why the term was originally used is completely
irrelevant in this case.

AW