Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 17:48:38 -0500
On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Arthur Berman wrote:

> We all have "special interests".  This term, however, has been coopted
> (usually) by right wing people seeking to avoid serious discussions of
> issues (but pursuing this one really should go on another list).  What is
> appropriate here is whether cultural sensitivity is or should be a factor
> in naming sports teams.  The locus of this sensitivity should be the
> people from the culture(s) in question.

For those who feel this constitutes "being dictated to", I'll point out
that they assumed the position by adopting the name in the first place.
Even if the (then) current generation supported it, future generations
are not and should not be bound by their views.  Cultures are dynamic.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |