From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:46:18 -0400
At 7:40 AM -0700 7/25/96, Joe LaCour wrote [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
> I was flipping through old issues of the NCAA News at
> their web site (www.ncaa.org) and found this one in a
> June issue---
> " Voted to employ the newly created three-man
> officiating system, which includes one referee and
> two assistant referees, for the 1997 championship. "
>
> Three guys calling penalties?  Who's idea was this
> (betcha the ECAC)?  EEK!  Next we'll have some guy
> in the stands calling penalties.
>
> The CCHA is right - 1 ref & 2 linesman.

The way I understand it, this pretty much will be the CCHA system - or at
the least, it is a compromise worked out between those who preferred the
two referee-one linesman system and those who preferred the one referee-two
linesman system.

The CCHA system allowed linesmen to call certain penalties behind the play.
I am pretty sure the new system will operate in much the same way.  The
main difference seems to be the terminology used.

I don't have anything that explains specifically how the new system will
work, but anyone who does is welcome to post.  The rule book will detail
this when it comes out in September.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93